Tips & Tricks

Fighting gray mold in potted plants - Here's how

Fighting gray mold in potted plants - Here's how



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Gray mold is a fungal disease that often occurs in potted plants and damages them. Here, therefore, explains how you can combat gray mold in potted plants.

Gray mold must be treated immediately

A gray mold infestation is recognizable in potted plants (not to be confused with normal mold in the flowerpot) mainly on their leaves, which are littered with a gray, dusty coating that mostly feels velvety soft. An infestation is also recognizable on the stems and petals, which can also have this visible characteristic.

Begonia, azaleas, primroses and rhododendrons are usually particularly affected. But also cyclamen and gloxinias. And even outdoor plants can be affected by gray mold, such as soft fruit (strawberries, raspberries, etc.), tomatoes, lettuce, grapes, etc.

Where does gray mold come from?

There are several reasons why gray mold can form in potted plants. Often dead plant parts are to blame for this noble mold infestation, which were not removed in time. However, spraying the plant leaves with water too vigorously can lead to gray mold. Especially when the water cannot dry sufficiently. A gray mold infestation is promoted much less frequently by overdosing with nitrogen fertilizer.

Tip:

You should therefore check potted plants for gray mold in winter and extremely reduce the moisture in the plant pot.

Fight gray mold

Once gray mold has formed, you need to remedy the situation immediately. To do this, you should cut off all the affected leaves, stems and flowers on the respective potted plant (preferably in the early stages of the infestation). In addition, you can treat the affected plant with a special mold protection agent from gardening stores (fungicide).

However, if the entire plant is already infected with gray mold, you must unfortunately dispose of it so that the mold infestation cannot spread to other plants. This is especially true for outdoor plants.

But be careful:

You should never dispose of infested plants on the compost, but always in the household waste so that the gray mold cannot spread any further.